Does your child seem to hate brushing or are you noticing your child in pain or discomfort during brushing? Your child may have sensitive teeth. When a child or adult has sensitive teeth, brushing may be uncomfortable, painful, or even result in bleeding in the gums. It’s definitely no fun and doesn’t make brushing or flossing, necessary daily behaviors to maintain healthy oral hygiene, any easier.
There are many causes of sensitive teeth in children. City Dental Kids & Braces would like to discuss some of the known causes of sensitive teeth in children and what can be done to resolve these issues.
Causes of Sensitive Teeth in Children
There are many causes of sensitivity in teeth for kids and adults. Some of the main causes include:
- Brushing too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush: As a first step, try seeing if your child simply needs a more sensitive toothbrush and ensure they aren’t brushing too roughly.
- Gingivitis or gum disease: Symptoms include bleeding during brushing and puffy, swollen, or red gums. There may also be some receding in the gum line depending on how far along the condition is.
- Neglecting brushing or flossing: Ensure your child is correctly brushing twice daily and flossing once per day. Teeth become more sensitive to bleeding and other issues simply from not being brushed or flossed frequently enough.
- Diet/exposure to sugar and unhealthy substances: Diet is a huge factor in your child’s overall health and their oral health as well. Frequent exposure to unnecessary sugar or other harmful substances will damage the teeth and gums over time regardless of how frequently you brush or floss.
- Acidic foods/drinks: Acidic foods and drinks can increase the pain of brushing and flossing, especially if they are consumed in excess. Again, keep an eye on your child’s diet.
- Teeth grinding at night: Listen to your child occasionally during sleep for the sound of nightly teeth grinding. If your child is heavily grinding their teeth, this can potentially cause all kinds of oral health problems.
If your child’s sensitivity issues are severe, or making some of the changes above are not working, it’s a good idea to visit the trusted dentists at City Dental Kids & Braces.
How We Can Help Sensitive Teeth in Children
There are a number of ways City Dental Kids & Braces can help your family with issues involving sensitive teeth in children. Some examples include:
- Recommending or offering sensitive tooth brush options.
- Treating gingivitis, gum disease, or other issues if they are present.
- Helping your child instill good dental habits.
- Recommending healthier foods and drinks for consumption.
- Providing solutions for teeth grinding as necessary.
City Dental Kids & Braces specializes in treating children. Dr. Sam and Dr. Mike have spent years in the industry treating children and look forward to making your child’s next visit one to remember.
Remember that having sensitive teeth is a relatively common issue that doesn’t always require serious treatment. The best thing you can do for your kids is get them to the reliable dentists at City Dental Kids & Braces for their next dental checkup! They will advise you correctly based on your child’s unique situation.
City Dental Kids & Braces is Here For YOU!
A professional pediatric dentist can really help in instilling good habits in your children. City Dental Kids & Braces is the perfect choice for you and your kids. Contact us today!
City Dental Kids & Braces was established by Dr. Sam Shahoveisi to bring a comfortable and fun experience visiting the dentist to children. City Dental Kids & Braces is the best choice for any and all of your pediatric dental concerns. The professionalism of their doctors will ensure your child has the best possible care before, during, and after their dental procedure.
For questions, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at (626) 962-1700.